PIPESTONE Donates Over 1 Million Servings of Pork Through Give a Helping Ham Program
Fourth Year of “Give a Helping Ham” a success
During the holidays we look forward to connecting with family and friends and enjoying a delicious meal with the prized ham featured in the center of the table. However, many individuals in our communities are food insecure, and without organizations like Feeding America, would have limited to no protein to serve their families.
PIPESTONE recognizes this need, and teamed up with local grocery stores on a project called Give a Helping Ham.
For every pound of ham purchased from any of the twenty-three participating grocery stores from Nov 18th – 27th, PIPESTONE would donate a pound of pork in return.
“Protein continues to remain on the needs list for food banks serving families with food insecurity in our local communities.” stated Dr. Luke Minion, CEO of Pipestone. “We are honored to help serve that need by partnering with local grocery stores and food banks on the Give a Helping Ham program.”
If you entered one of these stores the ten days before thanksgiving, you were likely greeted by some signs promoting the event, and hopefully had the opportunity to participate. Because of the program, PIPESTONE is donating over 110,000 pounds of pork to local food banks this year. Over the last four years the Give a Helping Ham program has donated over 350,000 pounds of pork to local food banks, providing over 1 million 4-oz servings of protein.
– Colombia, MO – 3 Hy-Vees – 12,938 pounds donated to the Food Bank for Central and Northeast Missouri
– Jefferson City, MO – Hy-Vee – 6,514 pounds donated to the Food Bank for Central and Northeast Missouri
– Marshall, MN – Hy-Vee – 8,706 pounds donated to Second Harvest Heartland
– Mitchell, SD – Coborns – 941 pounds donated to Feeding South Dakota
– Orange City, IA – Don’s Food Center – 383 pounds donated to the Food Bank of Siouxland
– Ottumwa, IA – 3 Hy-Vees – 8,411 pounds donated to Food Bank of Iowa
– Pipestone, MN – Corborns – 1,510 pounds donated to the Pipestone Food Shelf
– Rensselaer, IN – Strack & VanTil – 4,609 pounds donated to local food banks
– Sioux Falls, SD – 7 Hy-Vees – 53,247 pounds donated to Feeding South Dakota
– Sycamore, IL – Hy-Vee – 1,695 pounds donated to Northern Illinois Food Bank
– Waterloo, IA – 3 Hy-Vees – 12,881 – pounds donated to Northeast Iowa Food Bank
“Pipestone offers the largest pork protein donations to Feeding South Dakota,” said Matt Gassen, CEO of Feeding South Dakota. “We are so thankful for PIPESTONE and their work on this program. There are so many families that will enjoy the donated pork loin during the holidays and we couldn’t be more thankful to PIPESTONE for making that possible.”
Of course, our food banks/shelves need more than monetary donations to continue to serve in our communities. Please consider helping out as a volunteer and contact your local food shelf to see what their needs may be.
PIPESTONE has been serving their mission of Helping Farmers Today Create the Farms of Tomorrow since 1942. PIPESTONE helps pig farmers by providing resources and expertise in pig health, nutrition, management, marketing, and business services. We are able to serve farmers across the Midwest from our six office locations and the 70 sow farms we manage on behalf of family farmers. For more information, visit stage.pipestone.com.